Monday, July 2, 2012

A Monster Calls Review

A Monster Calls **5 stars**
June 30, 2012
Hardcover edition

Absolutely beautiful. This is a very emotional and touching book about grief and the pain of illness (in this case, cancer). The first thing I noticed when I picked up the book is the sheer weight of it. It is deceivingly light as it really isn't a large book. The weight comes from all the ink used in the images. This is a book that absolutely needs to be read in paper form (if you dare read it as an e-book, I will hunt you down. You have been warned). The illustrations add so much more to the story and are stunningly gorgeous. Okay, so back to the story itself. it is about a boy who is visited by a yew tree monster frequently. The way it is written, you never really know if the monster is real or just a dream. The way in which the story is written is heart-moving and even funny at times. The dialogue between the boy and the tree is deep and also light-hearted at times. But by the end of the book, I had tears streaming down my face and had a hard time reading because my eyes were swelling up (this only happens when I cry very very hard). I would absolutely recommend this book to anyone. I think that people can relate to this story in many different ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment