Friday, July 27, 2012

Deadly Cool (Deadly Cool #1) Review

Deadly Cool by Gemma Halliday**3 stars**
July 27, 2012
Paperback Edition

Very different from what I have been reading, but I just couldn't pass up the beautiful cover. This book is a YA mystery which I haven't really read before (I'm too used to fantasy and thriller at this point) so it took a little bit to get into the story and adjust to the different writing style and plot. The book was pretty good, although it did take a little effort to understand some of the "text speak" in the book. Different generation, different language. Although I didn't realize that "Dude" is still a term used among high school kids. Seems more like a term from my generation (late 80's, early 90's kids). Somethings never die, I guess. Speaking of death: the plot of this book was good even if I did have it figured out about halfway through. The descriptions of everything from clothes to social group stereotypes was very well done without being too descriptive and annoying. I loved the contrasts given between the Color Guard girls and cheer girls. I didn't go to a "normal" high school (shout out to all homeschoolers out there!), so it was fun to read even if it may not be all true. I also liked how little romance there was in this book. Most YA books feel obligated to shove it in there, but thankfully the author kept it out (with the exception of one very brief scene). I probably won't continue the series since I'm content with how the story ends, but I would recommend the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment